For many homeowners, a basement is that room in the house that they don’t like to go into, especially if it’s been poorly managed over the years.
But just like any other area in your house, you can make the basement look great and bring you additional space for different purposes: additional playroom, storage, etc. And the first step is to install proper windows to ensure optimal ventilation and light.
If you’ve been looking to replace your basement windows or install new units, you must know about Ecoline hopper windows and why they are your best bet to make your basement comfortable, save money and raise your house value.
What are Hopper Windows?
Hopper windows are units with hinges usually at the bottom that open inwards and downwards. If you are familiar with awning windows, then just think of hopper windows as the complete opposite. Hopper windows also have sashes that could open to either a 45- or 90- degree angle. It’s important to note that some manufacturers make hopper windows with hinges at the top. Hopper windows also come in a variety of styles and sizes, although the smaller sizes are the most popular ones.
Why Do Canadians Prefer Hopper Windows for Basements?
Hopper windows are Canadians preferred choice for basements because of the wide range of benefits these units provide:
- Hopper windows offer excellent ventilation without compromising on privacy or security. They are a good choice for basements because they open almost fully and allow natural light to come to your space.
- Because the window panes tilt upwards, these windows also stop debris from blowing into your home, even on windy days.
- Did we mention that hopper windows are also energy efficient? Yes, that’s right, they have low air leaking rates, and their locking latch closes easily and securely.
- Hopper windows are easy to clean. The fact that they open windows just makes life easier for anyone who cleans the windows. Their perfect size also makes them easy to clean.
- They are easy to operate and maintain. Hopper windows are one of the most straightforward windows to operate, and they are usually guaranteed to serve for long periods while requiring very little maintenance.
- Hopper windows are the perfect units for egress purposes but should meet your local building codes.
The usual disadvantages of using hopper windows in other rooms do not apply to the basement. Let us explain. Some of the disadvantages of using a hopper window in a living room, for example, might be the fact that you can’t place a curtain over it or that it might obstruct your space. People don’t really put curtains in the basement anyways, plus the windows do not get in the way of anyone in a basement, especially when placed high enough.
Can I Use Hopper Windows For My Egress?
Yes, you can. And moreover, you should too. These units are perfect for egress and even specifically designed for this purpose. But you have to make sure your hopper windows meet the standards required in the National Building Code of Canada, which you can access electronically by visiting the online collection of Codes Canada publications. Some of the requirements your egress windows must meet are:
- The window must be large enough to be used as an emergency exit
- You must be able to open the window without any special knowledge, keys, or hardware.
- The window must be able to provide adequate ventilation all through the year
- The window must provide at least 5% light to the entire room
You should note that different provinces in Canada have different requirements and codes for building windows. It is therefore essential that you do your research on which rules apply to your area of residence.
Which is Better For My Basement: Hopper or Casement Windows?
This is entirely up to you as casement windows are an excellent alternative to hopper windows for basements. Casement windows are windows with hinges by the side which open either inwards or outwards. They function the way doors do. Casement windows are affordable, stylish, versatile, and easy to operate and maintain. They would work in almost every room in the house as they are excellent in ventilating the home and saving energy. Casement windows would work for basements, but would they work better than hopper windows?
No, we can’t say so. Hopper windows are always an excellent choice for basements, even if they won’t work for all other rooms in the house like a casement window.
It is worthy to note, though, that casement windows would work perfectly as egress windows. In fact, they are a popular choice for egress windows because their size works perfectly for an emergency escape or exit. Perhaps you should go for a casement window if you’re hoping to use your basement window as an egress window. If you want to have both, which isn’t a bad idea, then getting a hopper window for egress and casements would help get more ventilation and light.
Hopper vs. Casement Windows – Prices Comparison in Canada
If you want to raise your property’s value – replacing your old windows with new hoppers or casements would be a smart idea. However, new windows would not be a cheap journey, but you should treat getting new windows as a long-term investment. And to provide you with a bigger picture regarding prices for new units, here is a table below representing the prices for hopper and casement windows, not only for basements but for different rooms within your house.
|Region||Hopper, $||Casement, $|
|Ottawa||526 – 982||523 – 953|
|Edmonton||482 – 2829||431 – 1304|
|Regina||348 – 2541||554 -1111|
|Winnipeg||340 1883||477 – 1614|
|Saskatoon||341 – 1546||407 – 1196|
The Final Thoughts
In conclusion, hopper windows are a fantastic idea for your basements regardless of whether they are partially or fully above ground basements. Remember that your basements do not have to be dark, gloomy, and musty, even if they are just storage spaces. Using the right windows will go a long way with ventilation and lighting for your basements. Let’s not forget the peace of mind you have, knowing there’s an egress window down there. We guess from us; it’s goodbye to gloomy basements.
SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE! HERE'S WHY:
1. You get 7 free books
2. You get the best money & productivity articles
3. You get the latest updates - all in one email per week