Are you wondering how to achieve your dream of studying in the United States without spending huge amounts of money? In case you are among the ones who look for some scholarship to sponsor your higher studies, then you must consider the Fulbright Scholarship. This scholarship is offered by binational Fulbright commissions or the US embassies. Every year it grants 8,000 awards. The scholarship covers the majority of the study costs.
All the aspirants eyeing for a Fulbright scholarship have to work harder to get these scholarships as they are highly competitive. The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is operative in several countries across the world. Close to 4,000 international students get Fulbright scholarships annually.
Fulbright Scholarship – Types, Key Features, Eligibility & Benefits
Fulbright Scholarship is about providing opportunities to the students based on their academic background and country of origin. The opportunities might differ from country to country. Some of the common Fulbright scholarships offered to the candidates include:
- The Fulbright Postgraduate Scholarship helps international students to study or do research at a university or institution located in the US.
- Fulbright Visiting Scholar Grant is for international scholars who are interested in taking post-doctoral research at a US institution.
- Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant scholarships help young teachers who aim to teach their native language in the US. But this scholarship is not available across all the countries, so refer to the official website to know more about this program.
The entire duration of these kinds of scholarships is mostly six months or an entire year.
Fulbright Scholarship – Benefits
Fulbright scholarship might include partial or complete expenses like round trip tickets, food expenses, accommodation costs, tuition fees, health insurance, visa charges, etc.
Key Features of Fulbright Scholarship
- Fulbright scholarship offers an opportunity to the students who have completed their graduation, young professionals, and artists from several countries to study and carry out research work in the US.
- Each year close to 4,000 international students avail these scholarships.
- The Fulbright scholarship is managed by bilateral Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or US Embassies
- All the international applicants from different academic fields are encouraged to apply for these scholarships.
Fulbright Scholarship – Who can apply?
Students planning to apply for a Fulbright Scholarship must operate in their home country. Since each country has specific eligibility requirements, candidates planning to apply for Fulbright scholarship can refer to the official website fulbrightonline.org. It helps them get a better understanding of the detailed procedure in your country.
- Candidates must meet the minimum citizenship requirements laid for their country.
- It is essential to have a bachelor’s degree to apply for the Fulbright Scholarship.
- Aspirants having a strong academic background will be given priority.
- Students must have a well-structured project and personal leadership ability.
The deadlines to upload all the required documents for different kinds of Fulbright Scholarships vary between January to June. However, some scholarship deadlines are different based on your country.
Basis documents that are needed while applying for the scholarship include:
- Official Transcripts
- Online/Paper Application
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- GRE score
- English Language Proficiency Score (TOEFL)
Note: Candidates may require some other documents as well that need to be submitted while applying for a Fulbright Scholarship. Requirements differ based on the candidates’ country of residence and the nature of the application.
Fulbright Scholarship for Indian Candidates
The United States-Indian Educational Foundation (USIEF) is an agency managed by the bi-national Board of Trustees. It aimed at ensuring that all the rules and regulations laid by the Fulbright Program in India are established effectively. Established in 1950, USIEF is the Fulbright Commission of India who ensures awarding of the Fulbright Scholarship to the most qualified candidates. Since its formation, the agency has granted various scholarships in almost every academic discipline.
Some of the popular Fulbright Scholarships available for the Indian candidates include:
- Fulbright-Nehru Fellowships
- Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
- Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program
- Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for International Teachers
- Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program
- Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence Program
Fulbright-Nehru Scholarship: These scholarships are for candidates with exceptional academics to continue research work, study, and teach in their host country. Candidates are selected after undergoing a complete selection process. The shortlisted scholars will get assistance related to the visa process, along with numerous other benefits.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
The minimum eligibility requirement to get these fellowships:
- Candidate must be in India while applying
- Students must have an amazing academic/professional background
- Students must have a good knowledge of the English language so that they can adjust in the US.
- Aspirants shortlisted for the interviews must reach the USIEF office in Delhi at the mentioned time.
- Candidates must be fit and healthy.
- Aspirants will not be permitted to apply for a green card (permanent residency) in the US.
- Candidates need to give in writing that they will return to India after the successful completion of their fellowship.
Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship
Introduced in 2014, the Fulbright-Kalam Climate fellowship, aimed at addressing climate change threats in the US and India. The USIEF is responsible for looking after the exchange of scientific and technical researchers between these countries. The Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship supports doctoral and post-doctoral researchers for carrying out the research work in their host country for up to one year.
Fulbright-Kalam Climate Doctoral Fellowship
Students pursuing a PhD program from a renowned and recognized Indian institute can apply for this fellowship. This fellowship supports the selected candidates for a maximum period of nine months. Some of the benefits are a monthly stipend; assistance with the visa process, round-trip air travel (economy class); reasonable allowance helpful in settling into the US; health care facilities, etc.
Hubert. H Humphrey Fellowship Program
The scholarship is given to the young and accomplished professionals, who stay committed to the development of their country. This scholarship is an ideal alternative for professionals living in developing countries to pursue a non-degree graduate program at a college or university in the US for a maximum of 10 months.
National Institute on Drug Abuse Fellowship
The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Fellowship offers training to students who are focused on substance abuse and public health concerns. Some of the areas included in this kind of scholarship include mental health, social work, psychology, etc. Students post getting shortlisted for the NIDA will get training in prevention research, treatment, substance abuse policy research, and epidemiology.
We hope the above information about the Fulbright Scholarship will help students get a clear insight about the same. Stay tuned to our blogs for more information in future!