HESI stands for Health Education Systems Incorporated. It’s a series of exams used in various schools to evaluate the competencies of the candidates in course and content in a variety of health science disciplines. It is a computer-administered exam and commonly used by nursing schools for different purposes.
The HESI A2 Nursing Admission Assessment Exam is an exam required before admission in nursing programs, and it’s also known as Evolve Reach Admission Assessment. The HESI A2 is available all year and can be taken from LCSC Testing Centers.
A student can schedule the appointment to meet the application deadlines for the respective program.
Exam Details of HESI A2
- The total time allocated for this exam is 5 Hours
- There are 9 different sections from different subject areas:
- Reading Comprehension – 55 items – To make logical references, to identify the main idea, to find the meaning of words from the texts, passage comprehension.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge – 55 items – It covers vocabulary that is used in the healthcare field and the general knowledge.
- Grammar – 55 items – basic grammar, terms and their usage in grammar, common grammatical errors, and parts of speech.
- Basic Math – 55 items. – This covers basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, decimal, fractions, ratio and proportion, measurements and general math facts.
- Chemistry – 30 items- chemical reactions and equations, the atomic structure, the periodic table, chemical bonding, nuclear chemistry.
- Biology – 30 items – It covers biology basics, cellular respiration and photosynthesis, biological molecules, water, cells, and metabolism.
- Anatomy and Physiology – 30 items. This includes general terminology and anatomical structures and systems.
- Learning styles – 14 items – preferred learning styles
- Personality – 15 items – personality that relates to preferred learning styles.
- There are a total of 9 sub-tests; two of them are not counted in your final score: Personality and learning style.
- Calculators are not allowed during the exam but the computer program which is there for the exam has a basic calculator.
- Score requirement of different school varies but most of the school requires at least 75% score.
- The fees for this test vary $40-$90 and it is different for the schools.
How to Prepare HESI A2 Exam
Though there are plenty of tips to be followed to prepare for the HESI A2 Exam. Here are 6 of the best:
1. Learn Techniques for better performance
To achieve your goal and to give your best in the HESI A2 test, you need to prepare with proper planning and techniques. Without proper techniques, it won’t help you much. So, if you have decided to give HESI A2 test, start preparing with a study plan. If you’ve already passed the exam and bagged your dream college, you might now know how difficult it is to keep up with all the assignments and exams. Some of the best nursing essay writing services write assignments to make your life easier. If you have an essay submission coming up but have no time to do it, these services can help you with it.
2. Prepare with quality study materials
The best quality study materials will help you to understand more about the actual exam and it also contains good contents that will make you understand your progress. You can purchase a study guide, practice exams, and video review courses from the official Elsevier HESI Admission Assessment Exam Review.
3. Take rest and reduce anxiety
Your mind needs rest before the exam. If you want to perform better in the exam, take proper rest the night before the exam and try to eat healthy before the exam. Researchers have proven the relation between sleep and cognition. Take proper rest to avoid any mistake in the examination hall due to restlessness or fatigue.
4. Take Practice Tests
There is a number of well-known practice tests available on PrepAway (www.prepaway.com/hesi-a2-practice-test.html) for the HESI A2 Exam. You can take these practice tests to figure out your weak areas and you improve upon them. Practice tests are designed to help you in your preparation and to know about the actual exam.
5. Carefully read the questions before giving a response
When you’re taking the HESI A2 Exam, make sure to read all the questions carefully and then give a response if you are confident about it. Sometimes test makers design distracting questions, so you have to be more careful to analyze the answer and give the right response.
6. Manage your time effectively
Time-management is very critical during the exam. It’s always better to start managing your time since you have started practicing for the actual exam. It will help you manage your time in the HESI Exam effectively. Always try to attempt the questions you are confident about and then go for the other questions; it will save your precious time in the examination hall.
Why is HESI A2 Exam So Popular?
HESI A2 Exam is used to evaluate the candidates who want to enter the RN, LPN and Dental Hygiene Programs, and LPN to RN Bridge. Through this exam, the assessment of academic knowledge of a candidate is examined.
To get admission in different nursing schools and colleges, the candidate has to pass the HESI exam and should at least have a composite of a 70 to 90.
Your score obviously indicates how you’re going to perform in the NCLEX examinations.
This exam will help the candidates recognize their weakness in their nursing programs and they can improve to achieve their goal of being successful nurses.
The intent of this exam is to know how a candidate will perform in their curriculum in nursing schools and colleges.
Successful completion of HESI A2 Exam helps the candidate to make their career in nursing. Also, they will get prepared for NCLEX Examinations.
Through HESI A2 Exam, candidates will get familiar with the types of questions they will be asked by the time they sit for their licensing exam.
Those who dream to make their career in nursing and want to get a good score on the HESI A2 Exam will have to prepare well. There are so many resources only to learn, whether you’re studying for this exam or whether you need help for your kids with websites like Brighterly.com, you can find the learning resource that fits your needs.
Practice a lot and make your dream a reality. All the very best!