Read Time: 2 minutes
It’s not that I don’t like working, but there are some days when I just don’t feel like doing anything.
How often does this happen to you? You procrastinate by hopping on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, you name it. You’re not alone.
An important aspect to consider is that if you feel a low motivation to several times a month, then it’s very possible that your work does not please you. But if it happens from time to time there is no need to worry since we all go through that state despite being passionate about what we do.
Mood is an important factor in our productivity, as well as creativity, motivation and the environment. There are also other factors that affect us such as the place where we work, the people we relate to, problems at home, frustrations and even lack of will.
But in spite of all this, we have to work and find dynamics that help us overcome this feeling. Here are a few tips I have put into practice to help me stay motivated at work:
- If you’re a freelance worker, remember the reason you are doing this to begin with: you may want to be independent in your work, not have bosses and own your own schedule. Remember that maintaining your freedom is important to you. Let that be your motivation to work hard, even if you do not feel like it sometimes.
- Change your environment: the routine can become heavy sometimes. Remember that you have other options away from home or the office to work on the internet. Change your environment, maybe that will help clear the mind and come back with more encouragement to work.
- Take a few minutes to rest: if you are saturated with a project, rest for a while, focus your energy on something more simple and then try to return to your work dynamics.
- Develop a routine: Oftentimes, we don’t feel like working because we are a mess. We do not have a set schedule or a developed routine. Planning can motivate you to achieve your work goals.
- Take care of your health: Sometimes our tiredness and lack of motivation is also linked to our poor diet and exercise. It is important that you do not leave your health aside and see a doctor if you’re concerned that your low motivation may be as a result of a health condition.
- Make sure your work area is comfortable: Sometimes we are used to working wherever we are, and we don’t think that comfort can be an important factor for our performance. Make sure your work area is ideal. For some, this might mean having family pictures, fun motivational quotes, low light conditions etc…Find your ideal environment and be sure to tailor it to your specific needs.
What do you do when you do not feel like working?
Now, let’s be honest. We all need a break. When I do not feel like working, I simply work out. Personally I do yoga, jog, and do SoulCycle several days/week. Several studies have confirmed that even 30 minutes of daily exercise can improve motivation and performance.
Keep your goals in mind, clear your mind of distractions, find time to exercise, and keep the aforementioned tips in mind. You’ll soon be on your way to being self. How do you motivate yourself to work? Let us know in the comments!