Every student has to go through the stress or heightened anxiety before exams. Stress became more like the ritual students go through. It can be positive or negative depending on the outcome. When positive, it helps people to achieve success, however, when negative, it breeds disaster.
Students gunning for success must learn how to control stress before exam so that it does not feel overwhelming. If you can hold your own against it, you will be on the sure path to success.
Causes of Stress
For us to be able to control stress, we need to understand its causes, and these are:
- Poor planning and preparation
- Pressure of becoming the best
- Morale issues
- Plan your study – Lack of planning leads to spending study time unreasonably and eventually leads to tension before the exam. The solution is to design a study plan that will help you make judicious use of your time.
- Deal with distractions – Distractions creep into your life and disrupt your work and study routine. For cutting anxiety before exam you must deal decisively with distractions. With adequate planning, TV, social media, friends, and family etc. that constitutes distractions are removed.
- Avoid noisy environment – Noise is a culprit of stress, so it is better off getting quiet place for studying. Saturate the environment with classical music (more on this later) that will help your mood.
- Music Therapy – Music has been called the food of the soul. Music creates a calm, productive and positive environment for improved mood and prolong study. Classical and ambient music are great examples of a genre that lowers anxiety level.
- Go for a Walk – You might be feeling that studying all day long will help you in utilizing your study time perfectly. However, that style can be counter-productive and give you stress. A study by Dr. Chuck Hillman clearly reveals that sitting in a place for a long time heightens stress and going for a walk improves brain activity for optimum performance. Therefore, try go for a walk while studying.
- Sleep Therapy – Sleep therapy was designed by nature with aim of helping our minds relax, heal, and learn. Getting enough of it aids the assimilation of new knowledge into our long-term memory. Therefore, it’s a wonderful decision getting enough hours of sleep but that doesn’t mean that you have overdoing it.
- Take meditation break – After some studying take a break by meditating because it helps the mind relax and remove built-up tension.
- Ease off stress – Tell someone how you are feeling and you can do some awkward exercises like shouting out on your rooftop, punching a bag of sand etc.
- Go deaf on others – Listening to some people can induce stress especially negative people or competitors. Avoid them like a plague.
- Add fun breaks – Take a cold shower and do something fun within your 20-minute study break. Thus, diversify with these activities your study plan.
Stress is a double-edged sword that you can use for your advantage. If you do the points explained above in your routine, you shall ride the wave of tension in achieving success.