How to set goals that you will actually achieve.
Our life isn’t as logical as we like to think.
You may plan your goals perfectly, but when the time comes for action, it doesn’t work out.
That happens to all of us, because our emotions affect our decisions. We don’t think about that when we set goals.
A 2014 study shows how our emotions affect our logical decisions. So how do you deal with that? You have to make these decisions and set your goals when you’re in a logical state, and then push through when you’re thinking emotionally. Easier said than done.
Don’t worry, I’ve summed up five of the most common emotional thoughts that will destroy your goal progress. Once you acknowledge that these thoughts exist, you can fight them off.
Do you have goals? Like real, written, actionable goals? Most people don’t.
But I’m sure you do. Because you want to get the most out of your life.
But what if I told you that goals aren’t as important as every self-help book says they are?
What if I told you that habits are the foundation to success?
Goals and habits actually work together, but goals are nothing without habits.
The idea of a weekly review was first made popular by David Allen.
He suggests that you cut out a block of time each week to review the previous week, and an additional block of time to plan the upcoming week.
I’ve learned a lot from his methods and I incorporate much of his teachings in my processes.
But the fact is, you don’t want a weekly review that takes several hours to complete. Because you won’t do it.
Here’s a quick weekly review that doesn’t take all day, and will save you countless hours throughout the week…
Welcome to 2016!
I purposely waited until today to publish this to show how unimportant any specific date is. I’m not completely against setting a resolution at the beginning of the year, as long as you don’t get expect the changing of years to be some sort of miraculous time of new beginnings.
January 1st really is just another day.
I get it, new year, new you. And that’s great, but too often we set lofty resolutions, and then get completely discouraged when we don’t perfectly act out our new goals. Then, a month after the resolution is set, it’s abandoned. But it shouldn’t be like that.
We all fail. All the time. And that’s great.
“Dominate your day before breakfast” may sound intimidating, but it’s really not.
That’s been Jeff Sanders’ motto for his podcast, and now for his book.
The idea is that you can accomplish a lot with little effort, if you change a few habits.
I’ve been listening to Jeff’s show, The 5AM Miracle podcast, for a few years now. It made my top podcasts list and it continues to be one of the only podcasts that I listen to every time a new episode is available.
Jeff finally (I’ve been waiting!) put his expertise into words and released a book…an extremely awesome, useful, direct, practical and applicable book, if I do say so myself…and I do.
Here’s some insight into his book, The 5AM Miracle…
According to Professor Robert Mooradian of Northeastern University,
millions of Americans are dealing with the emotionally and physically taxing consequences of debt every year. We all want to make our financial goals, like getting out of debt, a reality, but few ever make it without changing their everyday habits.
Before we get into the list of habits that will change your financial goals and eventually your life, we need to get two basic concepts down:
If you’ve read some books on goal setting, you’ve probably read that only 3% of the population have written goals.
That statistic is often followed by something like “it doesn’t matter if this is true or not, the point is very few people write down their goals.” There is a need for that justification.
This “3%” comes from a study at Yale University in 1953.
The story goes, a Yale University class set goals. 3% of the class wrote them down, while the other 97% didn’t. Twenty years later, the researchers checked in on the classmates to find that the 3% with written goals had more wealth than the other 97% combined.
What an interesting study…the only issue is that it never actually happened.
I just released the top 75 books on personal finance and it was insanely popular.
Now it’s time for the “best of the best” productivity list. Yes, that’s a total of 150 books I’m recommending. I hope your to-read list is growing! I’m here to help with that.
I’ve been reading on productivity for years. Just like with personal finance, I’ve read some amazing books and some…not so amazing books.
I’ve decided to leave the not-so-amazing books out off the list. You’re welcome.
These books are not just the best books I have ever read on productivity; they are books that have changed my outlook (for the better) and helped me to achieve things I never would have believed I could do. Prepare to seriously become more productive…